You are here: Parents/Carers | How to apply for Free School Meals
How to apply for Free School Meals
GUJARATI INSTRUCTION VIDEO
It is really important to check if you are entitled to Free School Meals because this means during the lockdown you can get £15 worth of vouchers per child if you are eligible to spend at either at Asda, Aldi, Morrisons, Sainsburys and other big supermarkets.
Also by receiving Free School Meals the school will get and extra £1,320 for your child to use in a number of ways such as:
- extra support for your child’s learning
- help towards educational visits
- sometimes extra staff
- extra tuition
So you will get help with food and the school will get more help to further support your children’s learning.
If you get one of these benefits, you should be entitled to Free School Meals:
- Universal Credit with an annual household net earned income of no more than £7,400
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers' Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190
How to create an account for Free SchoolMeals
Before starting you will need:
- Your Full name
- Full address including postcode
- An email address
- A contact number
- Your National Insurance (NI) or National Asylum Support Service (NASS) number
- Your date of birth
- For the children that you are applying you will also need their full names, DOB and address if it is different from yours.
- Log onto: www.brent.gov.uk
- Search Free school meals in the search bar
- Scroll down and you will see Apply for School Meals
- Click on Online application to create a username and password
- You will receive a link into your email address – it will be from email@example.com
- Go into your emails and click on the link sent.
- Your username will be your email address and password that you created for the account.
- Enter your email and password. It will take you to the site directly.
- Now click on add children:
- You will need to add your child/ren’s full name, date of birth, gender and the school that the child attends. IF YOUR CHILD DOES NOT GO TO A BRENT SCHOOL DO NOT COMPLETE THE FORM FOR THEM.
- You can add 6 children on one form by clicking on Add Child.
- After you have entered the information about your child/ren, then press submit information.
- You will go to another page. Here you will need to add your National Insurance (NI) number or National Asylum Support Service (NASS) and date of birth.
- Tick the declaration and press send. You will contacted when your application is received and the school can check to see if you are eligible.