You are here: Galleries | Year 5 DT - Moon Buggy Challenge November 2018
Year 5 DT - Moon Buggy Challenge November 2018
We have just finished making our amazing moon buggies. They were part of our design and technology curriculum and also link to our current topic-space. We have been very adventurous using saws and glue guns in order to make our buggies look great. Although very tricky and frustrating at times, we all managed to make our vehicles go forwards and backwards using batteries and motors. The highlight of the project was having the opportunity to race our buggies in the school hall.
Our objectives were:
- To make and use simple series circuits
- To understand and use mechanical systems, e.g. pulleys, wheels, axles and bearings
- To build and reinforce structures
- After measuring and sawing, the children had to put together their chassis, making sure the axles could rotate freely
- Children reinforced the outer frames with cardboard triangles
- Children designed and tested a circuit before attaching it to the chassis of their moon buggy
Take a look at our photographs....